Friday, January 30, 2009

Motivation

So why do I do this? Why would anyone want to go through the time, effort, pain, tightness, misery, and shoe buying? Well sometimes the short answer is: I can EAT!!!! When I run, sometimes I can burn up to and beyond 1000 Calories.... Still got a little chunk on me, but I am working on it.

Really though... the long answer is how training and running the Marathon is so much about being a caregiver... its about putting in that time, running in circles, feeling alone, getting tired, and ending up in the same place you began in. Alright, maybe that isn't the most motivating thing about running/training, and maybe not the nicest thing to say, but you know what? It does suck being a caregiver. Cancer does suck. You never really win, you just do a little better each time. OK.... Not where I wanted to go with this....

ITS about the long-haul, the commitment, holding on when it sucks, and knowing that probably tomorrow you'll have to get up and do it all over again. All while trying to maintain your normal life and everyday activities. Well, I guess I just want to add my little motivation that makes me always think of my mom who has battled breast cancer and knows the casualties of war. Its a line from "Never Too Late" by Michael Franti and Spearhead:

Don't Fear to walk slow
Don't be a horse race, be a marathon
And don't fear the long road
'cause on a long road 'ya got a long time
to sing a simple song, sing along

No comments:

Post a Comment